How to grow basil
basil Not only advantageously shades the taste of various dishes andFills them with a unique aroma, it is also a powerful medicinal plant that has antipyretic, immunostimulating, bactericidal properties. Tea from basil stimulates digestion and even promotes weight loss!
You can use basil in any form: fresh, dried, ice cream. To ensure for a long time to provide themselves and the family with fresh fragrant greens, it will be reasonable To grow basil on a windowsill. Using the guidance from "so simple!", You will become a specialist in this field!
How to grow basil
- start off Sow basil You can in the second half of March - early April. Of course, in a warm room, the seeds will ascend in February, but because of the short light day the shoots will stretch. In this case it will be necessary to have additional illumination.
- Prepare a suitable container. You can buy a ready-made substrate, but you can cook it yourself, mixing vermiculite, perlite and peat in equal parts. Fill the soil in a pot, lightly press down, and then moisten with water.
- Sow the seeds at a distance of 0.5 cm from each other (the amount depends on the capacity). Slightly sprinkle them with earth, but not too thick layer, cover the pot with a film and put it in a sunny place.
- When the firstSprouts, film can be removed. Do not forget about the daily moderate watering to avoid the drying out of the earth. I, for example, not to overdo it with water, irrigate the substrate from the atomizer 2 times a day.
When the first real leaflets appear, hold a pick to let the stronger seedlings grow freely.
- When the basil leaves the second pair of leaves, the plants can be planted in separate pots.
- Basil fringed root system, take this into account when choosing pots. For 1 bush, an average capacity of about 0.4 liters is required.
- So that the bush remained lush and beautiful, and the leaves retain their taste, do not miss the flowering of basil. Buds should immediately pinch off with one pair of leaves.
- Basil is considered a disease-resistant plant, butWith a strong waterlogging of the soil and a low temperature, fungal diseases (black leg, fusariosis, gray mold) can occur. As a preventive maintenance it is good to use spraying with infusion of onion husks: the husk is filled with boiling water in a proportion of 1: 4 and let it infuse for a day.
Serious enemies among the insects at the basilica there. If you take out the pots on the balcony, make sure that the caterpillar-stick or aphid does not hit the plants.
For growing fresh greens on the windowsillChoose compact fast growing varieties. Also, do not forget to pinch off the tops of the strongly stretched shoots, so that the bushes look fluffy and attractive. And most importantly: it is better to pour water into basil than pour it!
Give friends the opportunity to have a mini-garden on the windowsill: share these tips with them!